Tuesday, June 15, 2010

an open letter to money



Dear Money,

We're not the best of friends, right now. I've started to really resent you, and the attitude everyone has about you. True, there are still people you haven't quite corrupted yet. But for the most part it seems like you have everyone inside your nasty green-fingered grasp. I'm no exception; I believe it's been quite some time since I last gave any of my money away, for example. Actually, it hasn't been that long, but my check bounced and I was instantly pissed at myself for giving as much as I did. Whoops!

Last night I was talking over my IV budget with my parents and comparing my monthly income with expected monthly expenditures. I had considered not putting a line in to avoid arguments, but thought it might be a good opportunity to talk to my parents about my attitude towards money and make it into a witnessing moment. Instead, they got really mad at me. My dad thinks I shouldn't give any money away at mall. My mom argued that I didn't have to give away 10% anymore (I *know* that...but decided not to explain that I felt like that was a minimum).

It just frustrates me. So many people in the world live on so little, we have no right to get as uptight as we do about money in the US. The stats on Christian giving make me sick. It disgusts me that we give so little percentage wise, but it looks like a lot because we were born with more money than anyone else. I hate that whenever we *do* give money, the donors and the charity-givers become heroes and saviors.

Oh, well, money. We certainly can't break up, because I know I can't live without you. But man, this relationship is awkward right now.

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment